A world leader in the ethylene industry with 50% of the market share
40 new grassroots ethylene plants awarded to TechnipFMC since 2000, corresponding to over 37 million tons of ethylene
World leader in the ethylene industry
TechnipFMC has unique experience in the design and construction of the largest ethylene plants, using proprietary technologies. We design steam crackers from concept to construction and commissioning, including key references such as DOW LHC9 (USA), the world’s largest steam cracker; SADARA (KSA), the world largest mixed cracker; RELIANCE (India), the world’s largest refinery off gases cracker; CPChem (USA).
We are also a leader in the modernization of existing units across the world. Our project portfolio includes 150 grassroots plants and numerous modernization projects designed to add capacity since the beginning.
Throughout the years, our technology developments have improved energy efficiency in ethylene plants, reducing the total installation cost per ton of ethylene. We achieved a five to 10% reduction in hydrocarbon consumption per ton of ethylene produced and, simultaneously, a 30% reduction of CO2 emissions by improving thermal efficiency of the furnaces and by reducing the required compression power.
As a market leader in licensing ethylene plants, we are committed to taking our leadership further by driving continuous innovation and targeting environmental, economic and social benefits.
Wide portfolio of proven technologies
Dual capability to serve as licensors and EPC contractor
Single-point responsibility from licensing to EPC of grassroot plants and modernization of existing facilities
- Furnace technologies: SMK™ and Ultra Selective Conversion (USC® M-coils) for gas cracking; GK6® and USC® U-coils for liquids cracking
- SFT® technology for boosting olefins production through enhanced heat transfer
- SPYRO® furnace design and optimization software tool
- Proprietary separation technologies for all types of acetylene separation processes
- Hummingbird® ethanol-to-ethylene technology for an alternative method to produce sustainable products from bio-based materials
- Proprietary equipment, including: transfer line exchanger (TLE), burners, Ripple Tray™ technology, Vapor Flute™, Quench Fitting, Anti-Coking Heavy Feed Mixer™, high-performance exchangers (Gewa-PB, Gewa-KS and DIESTA tubes)
Economic, environmental and social benefits
High efficiency plant
- Increased plant capacity over 1500kta
- Reduced feed consumption
- Increased selectivity for better yields, reducing the specific energy consumption per ton of ethylene
- Increased flexibility for wider range of feed qualities and in operating severity / conversion
- Reduced maintenance cost with new state-of-the-art technology
Economic and environmental benefits
- Reduction of total installation cost per ton of ethylene
- Reduction of hydrocarbons consumption per ton of ethylene produced by about 5 to 10% in the last decades.
- Improvement of the energy efficiency in ethylene plants, reducing CO2 emissions/ton of ethylene by 30%
- Ethylene derivatives have higher mechanical and physical performance. They are increasingly used to save lives in medicine and pharmaceuticals.
- They are also now widely used in transportation (vehicles, trucks and airplanes). The lighter material has replaced steel and therefore minimized fuel consumption and transportation costs.